Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Back on the Air - 6/12/05

Okay, I've been very lax about writing this blog (and, frankly, even more lax about writing the other one). Want this to change. But I'm not sure how. I've been less than excited to go to my radio show since the start of the summer schedule and I'm trying to figure out why. My thoughts have led me to realize that I am not particularly "jazzed" about any one kind of music right now. There's no huge New Wave/Punk nostalgia trip getting me all psyched to buy music and to play it. Old school rap is still all good but I'm not as hyped about it as I am sometimes. Lately I've been somewhat into solo singer/songwriter stuff. Everything from Ryan Adams to alt-country (and some might argue actual country - this is a shock to my system) like Kasey Chambers and Jessi Alexander. I'm also a pretty big Something Corporate fan these days. That being said and also being what I'm into right now, it's not enough to get my all excited for radio. And it shouldn't be. So, I'm trying to fix this but it might take some time.

On this list, things that rock and that you should run right to your local, locally-owned record store and buy right now are:

The Charms - This Boston-based band fronted by two females and comprised of two more guys will rock your socks off. Kind of like The Donnas, but with far less polish than even some of their early stuff.
The White Stripes - Their newest album, "Get Behind Me Satan," is not as guitar and rock-heavy as their last couple but the songwriting has gotten as much better as their recent influences are obvious.
Dashboard Confessional - I prefer my emo to be a bit more whiny than screamo and this falls far short of true screamo but sometimes I find it too loud for my taste. But anyone who needs to hear a band they might not have given a fair chance to should pick up at least one album by these guys.
The Violent Femmes - The classic Femmes album has been remastered. With a whole extra disc of demos and out-takes, this high school classic has been given a new, and entirely deserved, life.
Jennyanykind - Not the best band in the world (and I'd be surprised if you could even find too much of their stuff out there) but I had to mention this band because I think this is possibly the best band name I've ever heard.
Kasey Chambers - Yes, I am STILL ranting about this girl. She just blows me away.
Say Hi To Your Mom - These guys played in Austin at SXSW. I didn't see them but they were on my list. Just not at the top.
Patsy Cline - This is what I'm talking about. I've been listening to a lot of Patsy Cline lately. And while that's not bad, it sure isn't going to make anyone particularly excited to do much beyond get really drunk.
Michael Jackson - I'm only gonna say this a few more times, Michael may be a creepy guy but he isn't a total perv either. By being robbed of his childhood in favor of the almighty dollar, Michael missed out on something he can never do over. He is doing whatever is in his power to help make sure other kids get things he never did. And while he probably does a few inappropriate things (like sleep-overs period much less sleep-overs in his room (which, it's probably worth remembering, is MUCH larger than most houses anyone I've ever known has walked through) but I don't really believe he is anything more than the target for opportunistic parents looking to take advantage of a very generous guy.
Prince - Another weirdo but a total musical genius. Everything he's ever done, I like.
Bon Jovi - This band has been experiencing a major renaissance in my computer. Only stuff up to and including Slippery When Wet though.
Common - I put this in because it was the end of my show - which means, if I put in something from the station, I can just take off and let the next guy put it away - and I've heard all kinds of good stuff about this guy. It's all true. This was way better than I expected and was catchy and conscious all at the same time.

It's time for the list. Are you ready? I think maybe. It's down below.


The Charms - Gimme That Shot
The White Stripes - Take, Take, Take
Dashboard Confessional - Bend & Not Break
Jackopierce - Along for the Ride
Violent Femmes - Gone Daddy Gone
The Dead Milkmen - Swordfish
Jackopierce - Iron John
June - Genius
Macy Gray - Caligula
Big Brother & The Holding Company - Call On Me
The Slickers - Johnny Too Bad (The Harder They Come soundtrack)
Jennyanykind - When the Sun Shines Down on the Average People
Puffy Ami Yumi - Love So Pure
Grace Jones - Love Is the Drug (Roxy Music)
Johnny Taylor - We're Getting Careless With Our Love
Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine
Buckwheat Zydeco - You Looking for Me?
Kasey Chambers - Follow You Home
Say Hi To Your Mom - I Think I'll Be A Good Ghost
The Jessica Fletchers - Bloody 70's Love
Daniel Johnston - Foxy Girl
Reggie & The Full Effect - The Trooth
Patsy Cline - Walking After Midnight
Michael Jackson - Human Nature
Prince - When Doves Cry
Bon Jovi - Lay Your Hands On Me
Josie Cotton - Johnny Are You Queer?
Fine Young Cannibals - Good Thing
Common - GO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home